Copa Airlines updated its sports equipment policy, dividing it into two categories: small sports equipment and large sports equipment.
ConnectMiles PreferMember and Star Alliance Gold passengers may check sports equipment as part of their luggage allowance (overweight and oversize fees will not apply). Passengers exceeding the number of items in their luggage allowance will be required to pay the fee of USD150.00 per item of sports equipment instead of the extra piece fee of USD175.00.
Small sports equipment
Small sports equipment may be transported according to our luggage policy as part of the passenger’s luggage allowance, in compliance with the permitted weight, size, and number of items of luggage. If the sports equipment exceeds the permitted weight, size, or number of items of luggage, it will be subject to the applicable overweight, oversize, or excess luggage fee.
ConnectMiles PreferMember and Star Alliance Gold passengers exceeding the number of items in their luggage allowance will be required to pay the fee of USD150.00 per sport equipment instead of the extra piece fee of USD175.00
Small sports equipment list
one bow case containing bows, one quiver containing arrows, and one maintenance kit of sufficient strength to protect items from accidental damage
One bowling bag and one bowling ball, and one pair of bowling shoes
Tent, backpack, sleeping bag, items made of vinyl, cotton, plastic, or cloth, and items having straps, buckles, and metal and aluminum frames, are accepted as fragile items
Two fishing rods, one reel, one landing net, one pair of fishing boots, and one tackle box
One golf bag, 14 golf clubs, 12 golf balls, and one pair of golf shoes
- One paintball marker in a hard or soft case without a safety lock
- Painball pellets must be packaged in the manufacturer’s packaging or in safety packaging to protect against breakage
- Gas compressors must be emptied, and the regulator must be removed from the compressor
- Paintball air tanks must be empty
One parachute bag
One bag with 2 rackets, and 6 tennis balls
Large sports equipment
Large sports equipment will be transported on international and domestic1 flights for a fee of USD150.00, regardless of whether it is part of the passenger’s luggage allowance. These items will not be subject to overweight or oversize luggage fees. The maximum weight allowed is 100 pounds (45 kilograms), and the maximum size allowed is 115 linear inches (294 linear centimeters).
ConnectMiles PreferMember and Star Alliance Gold passengers may check large sports equipment as part of their luggage allowance. Passengers exceeding the number of items in their luggage allowance will be required to pay the fee of USD150.00 per sport equipment
1 For domestic flights the surfboard fee is USD 50.
2 On trips in which the final destination is in the country Panama, or have a stopover in Panama, the surfboard fee is USD 100.
Large sports equipment list
- One single-seat sport or racing bicycle per passenger is accepted
- Only non-motorized bicycles are accepted
- Small items, such as chains, screws, brakes, etc., must be placed in a plastic bag
- The bicycle must be properly packed to prevent contact with the aircraft hold
- One empty tank, one regulator, one mask with a snorkel, one knife, one speargun, one diving suit, and one weight belt are accepted
- The kayak must be deflated and properly packed
- One kite, directional bar, harness, board, and ropes are accepted
- One paddleboard per passenger, packed in a single case, is accepted
- Passengers traveling with a paddleboard must make a reservation for the board when purchasing their ticket or 48 hours prior to the departure of their flight by calling the Reservation Center.
- Acceptance of paddleboard is subject to space availability, which varies by type of aircraft:
- Boeing 737 MAX 9: 4 board bags or cases
- Boeing 737-700: 4 board bags or cases
- Boeing 737-800: 4 board bags or cases
- Copa Airlines is not liable for damage to the paddleboard
Pole Vaulting Equipment
- A fee of USD $150 per pole applies for international and domestic flights.
- One pole is allowed as checked baggage, with a maximum weight of 45 kilograms (90 lbs) and a maximum a dimension of 115 linear inches (294 cm).
- All pole vaulting equipment must be packed in a suitable container.
- One pair of snow/water skis
- One pair of snow shoes, boots, poles, and skis
- One mask
- One snowboard/wakeboard
- Three surfboards or bodyboards per passenger, packed in a single case, are accepted
- Passengers traveling with a surfboard or bodyboard must make a reservation for the board when purchasing their ticket or 48 hours prior to the departure of their flight by calling the Reservation Center.
- Acceptance of surfboards and bodyboards is subject to space availability, which varies by type of aircraft:
- Boeing 737 MAX 9: 5 board bags or cases
- Boeing 737-700: 5 board bags or cases
- Boeing 737-800: 5 board bags or cases
- Copa Airlines is not liable for damage to surfboards or bodyboard
- The passenger must remove the skeg or fin from the board and package it appropriately to prevent scratches
- For domestic flights the surfboard fee is USD 50.
- On trips in which the final destination is in the country Panama, or have a stopover in Panama, the surfboard fee is USD 100.
- One windsurfing board not to exceed 115 inches (294 centimeters) in length, one mast, one sail, and one assembly kit are accepted
All firearms must be properly packaged in cases that are suitable for transportation. The following items are accepted:
- One rifle case, with not more than 2 rifles, with or without a scope, 11 pounds (5 kilograms) of ammunition, a silencer, and tools.
- Two pistol cases with pistols and 11 pounds (5 kilograms) of ammunition.
- One case with not more than five small pistols, 11 pounds (5 kilograms) of ammunition, a silencer, and tools.
- Ammunition must be packaged in the original manufacturer’s packaging or in safety packaging made of metal, wood, or fiber.
For domestic and international flights, except flights from Colombia, the following requirements apply to the transportation of firearms as luggage:
- The customer must show, in a designated area, that the firearm has previously been unloaded.
- Passenger Service personnel will not be responsible for firearms at any time while checking them.
- The passenger must sign the firearm declaration and attach the stub to the trigger of the respective firearm.
- Firearms must be placed in a hard-sided locking suitcase.
- They must be carried in cargo holds.
For flights from Colombia, the following requirements apply:
- Any customer wishing to transport a firearm and/or ammunition must show his or her permit and airline-issued boarding pass as proof of travel; there are no exceptions to this requirement.
- Any customer wishing to transport a recreational firearm must show his or her airline-issued boarding pass and a valid ID showing that he or she is a current member of the National Shooting Federation (FEDETIRO); there are no exceptions to this requirement.
- Recreational firearms and/or ammunition must always be unloaded during transportation and be transported separately; in addition, they must be packed in a special case.
- Firearms and/or ammunition must always be properly documented prior to being transported (for this purpose, the “proof of firearms approval” form must be completed fully and clearly).
- Ammunition with explosive or incendiary projectiles is not permitted. Gunpowder is considered a dangerous good and must be transported as cargo.
All sports equipment must be properly packed to protect the equipment and prevent damage of any kind during transport. Acceptance of these items must always be conditional, and the passenger must sign the liability release.
Copa Airlines does not transport boats, canoes, jet skis, kayaks, surf skis, lanterns, stoves, or equipment using fuel, propane, butane, or other similar gases, due to regulations on dangerous goods. If you wish to transport items of this kind, please contact Copa Airlines Cargo.
The following sport items are not allowed in carry-on luggage:
- Bows, arrows and javelins
- Ski poles
- Baseball bat
- Golf balls and clubs
- Fishing reels
- Pool sticks
- Exercise bands
- Weights and dumbbells